The Woodwardia jumper by Lydia Gluck in Pom Pom Quarterly’s Spring 2019 issue caught my eye right away with it’s relaxed, slightly boxy shape, pretty raglan detail, and spring-timey pinkness!
I do love a good bit of stockinette for TV or social knitting, and in a worsted weight, I just felt this would be such a satisfying and quick knit for me on the heels of a gift sweater project.
I wanted to keep this sweater on the less expensive side. I still decided to go to a local yarn shop and buy a sweater-quantity’s worth of yarn (which, of course, starts you off at a not-so-cheap price point), but I opted for a larger yarn manufacturer (versus small batch and/or hand-dyed.) The inexpensive yarn choices at the shop were limited, so I ended up buying a superwash yarn (even though in general I’m aiming to avoid superwash.)
This jumper is knit up in Berroco Ultra Wool, a superwash worsted-weight wool yarn in the colourway “Heather”. Of the 5 skeins I purchased, I used 4 plus a wee bit of the 5th. There’s definitely enough leftover for a toque or even a pair of mitts.
A gauge swatch told me that I should be using US 7 needles overall and US 5 needles for the ribbed cuffs and hem. (Find more details on my Ravelry project page.)
I chose to knit size 2 (for a finished bust of 43.75 inches. My bust is 35 inches, so this would give me 8.75 inches of positive each. This is on the lower end of the recommended ease range in the pattern, but I figured that was a safe move given that this is a superwash (and therefore stretchier yarn.)
I made a couple of modifications to the pattern as written:
- I knitted longer 2×2 ribbing on the cuffs (perhaps because I didn’t get quite as much length as I wanted on the sleeves in the stockinette section); and
- I opted not to knit a roll-neck. I thought it would be too hot to wear and wouldn’t look that awesome on me. Instead, I just did several rows of 2×2 ribbing for the collar. It turns out this was a good move because I find the sweater ever-so-slightly itchy at the neck with just a short ribbed collar. (I think this is because there is no short row shaping at the back, so the front of the neck sits a bit high.)
This sweater was such a pleasure to knit. I love the plant-like raglan detail, the split hem, and the faux seams up the sides of the sweater body and down the insides of the sleeves.
I’m happy with my choice of size. The sweater didn’t grow too much with blocking. I didn’t do very much pinning out when it was wet: just gently pinned out the ribbed hem, collar, and cuffs.
I have barely taken this thing off since it became cool enough to wear! (I’m even contemplating frogging my slightly-too-small Flax sweater to re-purpose the yarn to make another Woodwardia… I will report back!)